Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Automate a Capture

Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:27:22 -0400
Thank you!

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rob
MacKenzie
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:26 AM
To: Community support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-users] Automate a Capture

The included tshark app will allow you to automate your captures.  You
can specify all the options you should need therein.  You will need to
use some sort of scheduler to start it at the time you want, but that
shouldn't be an issue.  Use the -a option to tell it how long to go for,
i.e.:
Tshark -a duration:7200
For 2 hours

As for multiple files, you can use the ringbuffer,
Tshark -b filesize:8192
For 8 meg files.

You will be able to open the output pcap file in Wireshark after.

You are also not limited to Wireshark for capture, you can use any
packet sniffer that can output a compatible pcap file.  This way you can
have more complex scheduling/filtering before Wireshark displays the
data, especially if you write your own program to interface with winpcap
or libpcap.

Cheers,
-Rob