Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] end-to-end delay calculation

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:40:19 -0400
> On 12/03/2008, *Hansang Bae* <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>>
>It is within the limits of ntp.  Unless there is a WAN involved, the
>packets are flying around at an order of magnitude faster than what ntp
>can provide (ms resolution)

Fabiana moreno wrote:
so ... it is not reliable if i substract the time i hav in the client minus the time i have in the server to get my end the end delay?

It may be accurate enough for you. If you only require millisecond granularity, the above solution should be sufficient. It's just that if you want an order of magnitude better resolution, things get tricky very quickly.

--

Thanks,
Hansang