Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 0.99.8 Startup Error with GTK1 Interface

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:50:25 -0400
it-support@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

Earlier today I installed Wireshark 0.99.8 with the GTK2 user interface.
<snip>
Everytime I start up Wireshark with the GTK1 user interface I get an error
saying wireshark.exe - Application Error.  The application failed to
initialize properly, click OK to terminate the application.

I see what I assume to be the same problem on my Windows XP system using the latest Wireshark development SVN.

1. Please go to bugs.wireshark.org and file a bug report (Thanks).

2. My attempt to "step into" the GTK1 Wireshark using the VC6 debugger fails because the error (crash) occurs before the first Wireshark source code line is reached; it would seem that something is quite messed up: linker issue ?

I'm going to do a complete rebuild just to rule out any environment issues out, however I won't really have time to do any debugging today. Possibly one of the other developers with detailed Windows knowledge will be able to duplicate and find the problem.

Bill Meier