Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] 0.99.8 Startup Error with GTK1 Interface

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:15:31 -0500
Hi,

Earlier today I installed Wireshark 0.99.8 with the GTK2 user interface. It
worked but because I was on a Windows Server 2000 with 256 colour display
it was unusable. Re-reading the instructions and finding a post which
outlined a similar issue, I found that I need to install the GTK1 user
interface.

I have now done this and spent the last couple of hours trying to work out
why it won't work.  I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software, rebooted
between installs and installations, checked the registry, all done numerous
times.

Everytime I start up Wireshark with the GTK1 user interface I get an error
saying wireshark.exe - Application Error.  The application failed to
initialize properly, click OK to terminate the application.

I can re-install the GTK2 interface and it works fine (apart from the fact
that you can't see a thing in the application.)

The only thing that I can think of is that the GTK1 install requires the
GTK MS Windows Engine but when you select the GTK1 type of install the
windows engine is not selected and cannot be selected, not even by choosing
the custom type of install.  (But that's only my theory.)

Any help or tips on how to resolve this would be very much appriciated.

Kind regards,

      Tom