Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Router broken or is my Linux crazy? *Smallest* log include

From: Andreas Fink <afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:30:47 +0700

On 10.03.2008, at 16:57, Monkey D. Luffy wrote:

I left wireshark running during the night, since there was no network
traffic during that time, the log is as clean as it can get.
The weird thing is that my computer starts ARPing the router and never
stops.... The router only does some IGMP queries and replies, but
never answers the request.

Your computer should gather that 192.168.2.1 is your router's ethernet from the broadcasts it listens to. Thats also a way of learning ARP tables. However its odd that the router doesnt answer a specific ARP request targeted to him.

Now to the tricky questions. Where did you capture this? Maybe the router answered but your computer didnt get the answer because the switch in the middle is messed up or so?

No. Time Source Destination Protocol Info
    11 192.144853  AsustekC_ba:f5:a8     Broadcast             ARP
 Who has 192.168.2.1?  Tell 192.168.2.100
Frame 11 (42 bytes on wire, 42 bytes captured)
Ethernet II, Src: AsustekC_ba:f5:a8 (__:__:__:ba:f5:a8), Dst:
Broadcast (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff)
Address Resolution Protocol (request)

I checked some logs during normal execution and the router sometimes
answers the ARP requests, but even when it doesn't my computer stops
making ARP requests probably due to the IGMP replies and queries.

I have attach the summed up log in this email.

Thank you for any help.
<sniff_router_biglog_p3_00023+00024.txt--router_failure-- short>_______________________________________________
Wireshark-users mailing list
Wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx