Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] packet loss rate

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:13:17 -0500
Esma Y?ld?r?m wrote:
Hello
How can I measure the packet loss rate with Wireshark? In my case I am
sending a file of 512MB and wireshark captures the packets on my
computer.

This isn't as straight forward as it sounds. The packet losses can generate triple duplicate ACKs for example, and you have to manually figure out what's going on. Or you may even have SACK enabled and that makes it more difficult to analyze.

You can get a rough idea of what's going on by looking at the first occurrence of retransmissions. To be honest, I have the luxury of using Opnet's ACE and it can calculate stuff like this pretty easily. Of course, Opnet isn't exactly cheap! ;)

--

Thanks,
Hansang