Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] build problem

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:41:43 +0100
On Feb 28, 2008, at 4:30 PM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

Guy Harris wrote:
bitmus DA wrote:

i waited and downloaded version 0.99.8
then configured it --without-pcap and compiled. but error still here

That's another bug, not fixed in 0.99.8, but fixed in the current SVN,
so that *particular* fix should be in the next release.

For better or worse, most developers don't build without libpcap, and
the buildbots don't build without libpcap, so build problems when
building without libpcap don't tend to get discovered and fixed.

Obviously, we don't want all the buildbots building *only* without libpcap.

We could perhaps do all builds first with, and then without, libpcap - or first without, and then with, libpcap, with post-build tests done on the versions with libpcap - although that would slow the buildbots down
somewhat.

The Solaris buildbot appears to have taken about 4 3/4 minutes to run
the configure script, and about 1 hour 38 minutes to do the build,
unless I'm missing something, so it'd add about 1 3/4 hours to the
Solaris build procedure to do both builds.

However, if we *only* do it on, say, the OS X buildbot, it shouldn't
slow things down too much (about 15 minutes), and would probably catch
most if not all of the problems with non-pcap builds.

Funny, I was going to suggest that one of the buildbots build with both GTK2 and GTK1 1 for the same reason. I agree that only one need do it,
though.

So we need with-libpcap and without, with gtk1 or gtk2?
So the Mac OS X buildbot could build
- gtk2 without libpcap
- gtk1 with libpap
(I'm not sure if gtk1 without libpcap makes much sense)...

I can set up another buildbot slave on the same machine (which I'll
upgrade to Leopard/Intel soon), but the configure options have to
be set by Gerald...
(I thought one of--or the only--reasons that we still supported GTK1 on Windows was so the Windows buildbot would test GKT1 builds for us, but I
don't think that's working as there have been a fair number of times
that I went to build on GTK1/glib1 only to find it broken yet again.)