Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] build problem

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:30:17 -0500

Guy Harris wrote:
bitmus DA wrote:

i waited and downloaded version 0.99.8
then configured it --without-pcap and compiled. but error still here

That's another bug, not fixed in 0.99.8, but fixed in the current SVN, so that *particular* fix should be in the next release.

For better or worse, most developers don't build without libpcap, and the buildbots don't build without libpcap, so build problems when building without libpcap don't tend to get discovered and fixed.

Obviously, we don't want all the buildbots building *only* without libpcap.

We could perhaps do all builds first with, and then without, libpcap - or first without, and then with, libpcap, with post-build tests done on the versions with libpcap - although that would slow the buildbots down somewhat.

The Solaris buildbot appears to have taken about 4 3/4 minutes to run the configure script, and about 1 hour 38 minutes to do the build, unless I'm missing something, so it'd add about 1 3/4 hours to the Solaris build procedure to do both builds.

However, if we *only* do it on, say, the OS X buildbot, it shouldn't slow things down too much (about 15 minutes), and would probably catch most if not all of the problems with non-pcap builds.

Funny, I was going to suggest that one of the buildbots build with both GTK2 and GTK1 1 for the same reason. I agree that only one need do it, though.

(I thought one of--or the only--reasons that we still supported GTK1 on Windows was so the Windows buildbot would test GKT1 builds for us, but I don't think that's working as there have been a fair number of times that I went to build on GTK1/glib1 only to find it broken yet again.)