Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark setup

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:55:23 -0600
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Martinez, Isaas <I> wrote:

> Can anyone give me a quick setup tour?  This is my first time using
> wireshark; recommend by one of our other venders.

If you are running Windows, the easiest thing to do is to go to
www.wireshark.org and click on the 'Get Wireshark Now' link on the
page.
Download the installer and it has everything you need.

It's been a while since I've installed it so I can't remember if it
comes with the winpcap library or not.  If not, visit www.winpcap.org.

If you are talking about more advanced "setup" than getting it
installed, there really isn't much to reconfigure for casual usage.
Check out Capture -> Options to make sure the settings (such as which
interface is selected) look reasonable and you're good to go.

If you are really interested in diving in deeper, check -
The FAQ - http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html
The docs - http://www.wireshark.org/docs/ and
The wiki - http://wiki.wireshark.org/

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  Reading this email message requires root privileges which you
do not appear to possess. Sorry, dude.