Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] build problem

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:23:36 -0500
Stephen Fisher wrote:
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 11:20:47PM -0500, Bill Meier wrote:
bitmus DA wrote:

i wan to use wireshark for just view packet, not for capture.
so i run ./configure --without-pcap
and then make.
but make is giving error below

It's a bug :(

A fix will be committed momentarily to not compile the offending code if --without-pcap.

... and this fix should be included in the upcoming 0.99.8 release due out in about a week for the original poster's information.

The fix has been commited as SVN #24416.

See
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.py?view=rev&revision=24416

for the changes. (Yon can download the updated sources for the two programs or you can apply the changes to your local source).

Two notes:

1. Due to a screwup on my part the log text is incorrect (long story).
   The SVN 24416 log text "Fix typo in help text" should have been
   "Fix compile errors if 'configure ... --without-pcap'"

2. There's still a problem compiling the separate program rawshark
   without pcap. You'll need to use
   'configure ... --disable-rawshark ...' until this gets fixed.

(Gerald: Any chance the log comment can be corrected ??)

Bill Meier