Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] http Content-Encoding: gzip not decoding

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:34:11 -0700
On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:41:16AM -0800, Bob Keyes wrote:

> Packets are sniffed, tcp streams assembled, but when it comes time to
> decode gzip encoded content, I get nowhere. I am running 0.99.6 on
> Ubuntu Gutsy.

I just verified that my copy of Wireshark uncompresses the gzip
compressed html at the Amtrak web site and shows it to me.  Is your copy
of Wireshark compiled with zLib (libz)?  You can check by doing
wireshark -v or going to the Help - About menu in Wiresdhark.  It should
say "Compiled ... with libz x.y.z ..."

Steve