Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Which hardware

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:50:48 +1100
On Sat, Feb 9, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
> ronnie sahlberg schrieb:
>  > Personal first hand experience.
>  >
>  SCNR to ask your motivations ;-)
>
> > I have tested this myself on several PCs and compared.  The same host,
>  > the same capture file, the same preferences using the same SVN version
>  > of wireshark
>  > it ran 2+ times faster when booting into linux than w2k and w2k3.
>  > Bear in mind,  the tests were all for semi large capture files in the
>  > range 10-200MByte  and testing how long it takes to load a trace, how
>  > long it takes to filter a trace, how long it takes to bring up the tcp
>  > sequence number graph.
>  > I think it was something like 5-6 different single and multi cpu systems.
>  > (multiprocessing is a bit pointless with wireshark)
>  >
>  Well, while *capturing*, the capture and display tasks could run on two
>  different CPU's - however, I've never checked if they really do ;-)

This use case was for people that would never capture.   only download
existing captures from a central repository for post capture analysis.

> > The purpose was to find which hw+sw config would perform the fastest a
>  > large group of users that would spend significant amount of time
>  > looking at and filtering and analyzing 100MB - 1GByte large capture
>  > files. I dont care what systems the end users would end up using,
>  > they just wanted to know :
>  > "which hw+sw combination should we use to make analyzing/filtering of
>  > large captures as fast as possible".
>  >
>  Right! And I don't have any problems with your recommendation as you
>  have tested it :-)
>
> > That is probably an effect of linux having wastly better memory
>  > management than windows.
>  >
>  Oh, come on! Please don't spread FUD just as Microsoft does!!!
>
>  Simply stating that Wireshark is 2+ times faster on Linux than on
>  Windows, so this is probably caused by worse memory management on
>  Windows is just FUD. Keep in mind that the libraries used to run
>  Wireshark/tshark all have their origins in the "Unix world", so they're
>  probably optimized here and ported more or less well to the Windows
>  platform. For example, GTK+ is running "almost natively" on X
>  (basically it was build as a replacement for motif) and was much later
>  ported to Windows. Therefore it's just very likely that GTK+ is running
>  faster on Linux than on Windows.
>
>  Following the same argumentation, using a fast commercial analyzer
>  (highly optimized for) Windows compared to Wireshark would clearly state
>  the superior Windows platform ...

Yes your right.

WHY linux+wireshark is/was faster than windows+wireshark is unknown.
It just is/was.
The larger the capture file is/was   the greater the difference is/was.