Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Build 24279 finally builds on Solaris 10 with Sun's compiler

From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 13:08:07 +0000
Hi all,
following my previous questions, I have finally got a wireshark binary. I thought I'd report how.

1) svn co http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk wireshark-trunk
2) Next I needed to do a hack to copy some of the library files to a place autoconf/automake can find them.

kestrel /tmp/wireshark-trunk %  aclocal --print-ac-dir
/opt/csw/share/aclocal

cd /opt/csw/share/aclocal
tar cf original-m4-macros *
kestrel /tmp/wireshark-trunk % cp /tmp/wireshark-trunk/aclocal-fallback/* /opt/csw/share/aclocal

3) autoreconf
it reports some errors about missing files, and says to correct by running automake --add-missing

4)  automake --add-missing

There is a persistent complaint about ltmain.sh missing.

I found a copy of that at /usr/local/share/libtool/ltmain.sh, so copied that to /tmp/wireshark-trunk

5) autoreconf

6) Configured it to use my Sun compiler

./configure CC=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc CXX=/opt/SUNWspro/bin/CC

There was still this error about the library and header for pcap not matching

configure:26535: WARNING: Your pcap library is more recent than your pcap header. configure:26537: WARNING: Wireshark won't be able to use functions not declared configure:26539: WARNING: in that header. You should install a newer version of

7) gmake

8) ./wireshart

It works. I've not tried capturing any data yet, but I can inspect some from a dump someone sent me.

Here's some info on the system. The machine is a Sun Blade 2000 (2 x 1.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM), not a Blade 1000 as the output from unames suggests, but they are very similar machines.

kestrel /tmp % cc -V
cc: Sun C 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124867-01 2007/07/12
usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details
kestrel /tmp % CC -V
CC: Sun C++ 5.9 SunOS_sparc Patch 124863-01 2007/07/25
kestrel /tmp % cat /etc/release
                      Solaris 10 8/07 s10s_u4wos_12b SPARC
          Copyright 2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                       Use is subject to license terms.
                           Assembled 16 August 2007
kestrel /tmp % uname -a
SunOS kestrel 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000