Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] RSSI values

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:04:56 -0800
Kevin Janaes wrote:
I have a AirPcap card on a windows machine. I am trying to find the RSSI values from wireshark or tshark but not having any luck. Is it possible with this setup?

What capture type is enabled for your adapter? If it's "802.11 Only", then you won't see any RSSI values. In order to capture and display RSSI you have to have "802.11 + PPI" or "802.11 + Radio" selected in the "Capture Type:" drop-down in the advanced wireless settings in Wireshark or in the AirPcap control panel.

Once the capture type is set, the RSSI will be shown in the PPI or Radiotap tree in the protocol detail. You can also add an RSSI column by doing the following:

  Select "Preferences->Columns"
  Click "New"
  Enter "RSSI" (or whatever you'd like) in the "Title:" entry
  Select "IEEE 802.11 RSSI" in the unfortunately-non-alphabetized "Format" entry
  Click "Up" or "Down" to set the column's position.
  Click "OK" or "Apply"