Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] FC Protocol ??

From: "Daniel Koepke" <dkoepke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:00:24 -0600
Sorry for the delay, was pulled in different directions

Here is a sample of the scan taken today

At this site there is Cisco network equipment, 1 Netware server, network printers, and windows XP workstations.

All on TCPIP no IPX and a single VLAN

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan

----- Original Message ----- From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx> To: "Daniel Koepke" <dkoepke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Community support list for Wireshark" <wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 4:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-users] FC Protocol ??

Fibre channel is a SAN protocol so it would be very likely that it
would consume a lot of bandwidth.
I.e. it is used to (primarily) act as a transport for SCSI

Normally you would not see FC on the same segment as you would have
ordinary traffic but rather only on dedicated networks in the data
centre, unless someone
has configured their switches incorrectly.

Fibre channel can be transported ontop of ethernet in several ways :
FCoE   fibre channel over ethernet, this is a very new draft standard
though so it might be unlikely wou have encountered it.
iFCP and FCIP which maps ficre channel over ip

There is also a proprietary version of iFCP that is called mFCP but it
wont be that protocol since wireshark doesnt implement it yet.

Try looking for any frames containing a fibre channel world-wide-name.
This wwn will/can at least tell you the vendor name for the
equipment.