Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] crashing on OS X

From: "Kelly Martin" <kellymartin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 21:26:03 -0500
I built the latest Ethereal the quick-and-easy way using Mac Ports on my core 2 duo Leopard mac. It starts fine in X11 but crashes continually when starting to monitor en1 (the built-in WiFi) as user root. I don't recall the crash report at the moment but am wondering if this is a well-known bug already.

Also, when running as a regular user, Wireshark does not have sufficient privileges to monitor this device - yet if I run it as root, it gives me a warning that this might be dangerous (and indeed, I suspect it might in some cases). Is there another suggested way to run Wireshark on OS X, perhaps only as an admin-but-not-root user? I am confused.

I also have some FreeBSD and NetBSD virtual machines that I could install wireshark on. Anyone know if VMWare or Parallels would allow me to run in promiscuous or similar wireless modes so wireshark could do its magic?

kelly