Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Monitoring traffic from a VOIP phone

From: "Tom Heyligen" <T.Heyligen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:03:00 +0100
Hi Tim,

If I understand you correctly, your setup is like:
  PC -- VoIP phone -- router -- modem -- internet
where the VoIP phone contains an integrated two-port Ethernet switch.

One way would be to extend your setup with a hub, like:
  PC -- VoIP phone -- router -- hub -- modem -- internet

Make sure the hub is an authentic hub, forwarding all packets to all
ports. Avoid a switch.
Connect 3 ports to this hub:
- the WAN Ethernet port of the router
- the Ethernet port of the modem
- the LAN Ethernet port of a PC (running Wireshark)

Wireshark should sniff all traffic between your LAN and the Internet, so
you might want to filter on IP address(es) or VoIP protocol (e.g. sip).

Happy sniffing,
 Tom.