Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Measure Jitter and Delay for UDP packets

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:23:30 +0100
Hi,

Since there is no tmiestamp in UDP headers there is no such thing as jitter and delay for UDP packets. There is for RTP packets, which can be transported in UDP packets.

So what you would need to have is a session description which tells you about the timing aspects of this session and then measure the UDP packet flow according to this.

In your case that would be intercepting the session establishment so that the context of the compressed RTP session is known. Based on that jitter and delay calculation could be made.

As I've reported before RTP header compression isn't supported by Wireshark as of yet, so neither is this function.

Thanx,
Jaap

Arjan van 't Hof wrote:
Dear Wireshark users,

Does anyone know how to measure jitter and delay for UDP packets with Wireshark.

The UDP packets are actually Voice packets, but the RTP header (12 bytes) has been stripped from the IP/UDP/RTP header.

This result in PCMA (8) coded voice data.

The RTP header is than been replaced with a 5 bytes proprietary header.

It is not necessary to save the voice payload, only to view the jitter, delay and packet-loss parameters.

We want to measure the voice quality of these voice streams.

From my point of view, use Wireshark the RTP header to measure the jitter, delay and packet-loss for a special voice statistic report.

No other view is available to see the jitter and delay for UDP only packets. Theoretically it should be possibly to use the UDP instead.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,
Arjan van 't Hof
Network Consultant