Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] IGMP and Multicast Session Captures

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:22:20 -0500
McGee, Jesse (AFL Tele) wrote:
I am trying to debug IGMP performance in an integration lab.
When I try to capture IGMP events (joins, leaves, queries) over links with multiple vlans, I get very little useful information. Is there a know issue in wireshark that prevents capture of this data? Have anyone seen similar issues that are related to the capabilties of vendor switch port mirroring capabilities? Is there a Windows Registry parameter I should edit to allow better captures?

this is just a guess, but are you part of that group? IGMP ver 2 is group specific, isn't it? (I can't recall off the top of my head)

Also, the best way to see these would be to locate the designated router (the DR selection rules changed from ver 1 to ver 2) and span that port so wireshark can pick it up. Be sure to capture in promiscuous mode.

--

Thanks,
Hansang