Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Help with Display Filters

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:20:59 -0800

On Jan 15, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Renata Wowk wrote:

I need to create from a capture file, a new .pcap file with only the header information: data: tcp, ip and the ethernet header data.

The new file will have the same packet numbers from the original one, but only with the header data without the payload.

How can I create this filter at Wireshark ?

You can't. A "display filter" doesn't filter out information from packets, it filters out packets from a capture - i.e., a display filter says "select only these packets", not "select only these parts of the packets".

There isn't a good mechanism in any of the tools that come with Wireshark for discarding the TCP payload from a capture; you could try using editcap with a "-s" flag, where the "-s" value is the sum of the length of the largest IP and TCP headers and the length of the Ethernet header, but you'd have to guess what the largest IP and TCP headers are, or pick a value that you hope will be large enough. If it's too small, a packet with more IP or TCP options than you guessed will have its headers cut short; if it's too large, you'll get some packet payload as well as the headers.

However, it appears that Bit-Twist's "bittwiste" program could be used on libpcap files to strip out everything after the TCP header; the man page for bittwiste says:

	OPTIONS

		-L layer
Copy up to the specified layer and discard the remaining data. Value for layer must be either 2, 3 or 4 where 2 for Ethernet, 3 for ARP or IP, and 4 for ICMP, TCP or UDP.
See

	http://bittwist.sourceforge.net/

for Bit-Twist.