Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] registry edit for Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx GE NIC for Wires

From: "Jim Young" <SYSJHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:08:01 -0500
Hello Nelson,

>>> Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 01/09/08 6:10 PM >>>
>> On Jan 9, 2008, at 1:51 AM, Nelson Law wrote:
>> I can see the vlan information but the Organization Code is
>> incorrect. This packet is the Extreme EAPS packet with organization
>> code = 0x00e02b and Type=0x00bb. But now, the organization code is
>> 0x000000 and type=0xaaaa after adding this registry -
>> PreserveVlanInfoInRxPacket.

> Either it's a buggy driver or a buggy dissector; could you save that
> one packet to a capture file and send us a copy of that capture file
> so we can see which it is and, if it's a buggy dissector, try to fix
> it?  (Obviously there's not much we can do about a buggy Broadcom
> driver. :-))

I second Guy's request for a small capture file of a few Extreme EAPS
frames captured using the Broadcam NIC.  I also suggest that you
send us a second capture file with a few Extreme EAPS frames
captured with the using the Intel NIC. Being able to see what the
differences are could also be useful.

Also, how are you actually capturing those particular Extreme EAPS
frames?

Are you using port mirroring?  If so you might want to see if you can
arrange to tap the actual EAPS link (e.g. temporarily put a real
half-duplex CMSA/CD hub in the circuit between the two switches).

I hope you find this information useful.

Jim Young