Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Fwd: Cannot receive all packet from different cpu.

From: "Hendra Gunawan" <tts1331@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:25:36 +0700
Thx for the information jb.

is there any software can capture the data especially. In my country there isn't any 10m hub anymore. sorry i'm novice about this.
thx b4.

regards,

hendra.

On Jan 4, 2008 9:27 AM, jbartas <jbartas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

    Your problem is the switch - it's designed not to send all packets
to all ports. A few years back I went looking for a way to force the
switch to do this. I had the same Linksys (maybe an older one), the
famous wrt54g. I never found a way.

   Your simplest solution is to go to Ebay, buy a cheap old hub (NOT a
SWITCH!) and attach both your PCs and the wrt54g to the hub. Make sure
you get 1 10Mb hub, not a 100 - IIRC the Linksys will only do 10. The
hub will forward every packet out every port, and you'll catch them all
with Wireshark.

   Someday I'll write up my proof that Ethernet switches not only make
troubleshooting hard, they also slow down SOHO networks when compared to
hubs. But that's another story.

Hope this helps,

-JB-

Hendra Gunawan wrote:
> Dear friend,
>
> I'm having problem, how to receive all traffic information from
> another cpu in my lan?
> because i want try to see all traffic from another cpu.
>
> my hardware configuration is ;
> i'm using router linksys wrt54g with 4 port swicth.
> my cpu using lan connection (ie 192.168.1.101 <http://192.168.1.101/>)
> and another cpu using lan too (ie 192.168.1.105
> <http://192.168.1.105/>) and my router ip is 192.168.1.1
> <http://192.168.1.1/>
>
> i want to see all traffiic ingoing and outgoing from 192.168.1.105
> <http://192.168.1.105/ > but all traffic can't be captured.
> i'm using wireshark Version 0.99.6a (SVN Rev 22276) and winPcap 4.0.1
> my cpu have been installed with etherdetect 1.3 with demo version too.
>
> somebady can help me about this?

John Bartas - Director of Network Engineering
Packet Island, Inc. www.packetisland.com
jbartas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cell: 408-857-0605