Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] TCP Question - Retransmissions vs. Window Size

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:52:04 +1100
There is one condition where the congestion window size being small
can cause tcp retransmissions.

Normally a TCP stack will send an ACK immediately upon receiving two
full sized segments.
Some stacks vio9late this rule and implement so called "stretched
ACKs" where they change the rules
to only send an ACK upon receiving n (n >2) segments.

This can lead to a host sending two full sized segments to that
station, and then pausing since it might have filled its congestion
window of 2 full sized segments.
The sending host pauses  waiting for an ACK,   the receiving host
doesnt send an ACK immediately but instead does a Delayed ACK.
IF the delayed ACK timeout of the receiving host using stretched ACKs
is higher than the retransmission timeout of the sending host, then
the sending host will timeout first and do a TPC retransmission.

Stretched ACKs are a really stupid and clueless idea for this reason
since it breaks TCP.
Most sane stacks dont do stretched ACKs.

Also, you cant modify the congestion window size. This window size is
managed and updated dynamically inside the stack.
You can modify the maximum window size, but that is a completely
different window.