Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Relabeling or defining "aliases" to packets

From: "ColfaxNet Support" <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 07:11:45 -0800
Thank you for the input. I think the "hosts" is what I am trying to do. Aliases is when a name is given to a particular device to make it easier for humans to read. For example, instead of listing a packet using its IP address, we replace the IP address with a human readable name i.e. "backbone_router". This makes it much easier to scan the packet window and to know which device created a particular packet.

We reveiwed the documentation regarding hosts. (now that we know what it is called, thank you again)
When I attempted to use the hosts definition in Wireshark, I defined a plain text file named "hosts" and placed it in c:\users\colfaxnet\appdata\roaming\wireshark. (yes, I'm using Vista) The path is the one listed in "help, about Wireshark, Folders, Personal configuration". The entries in the "hosts" file are in the following form:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx backbone_router
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx backbone_router  (we have two different subnets on the same router)

We only have two entries to start. We tried reloading the open capture file using "view, reload" and we also closed and reloaded Wireshark and then re-opened the capture file. Each time the packets containing the IP address are still listed as the IP address and not as "backbone_router".

Is this because the capture file was created without the hosts file? It appears that the hosts file should be re-read when Wireshark is loaded or "reload" is selected from the view menu.

Again, thank you for your input.

Corey