Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Relabeling or defining "aliases" to packets

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 00:59:29 +0100
Hi,

Isn't this what /etc/hosts is for?

Thanx,
Jaap

ColfaxNet Support wrote:
Wireshark.....wonderful tool!!
Is there a way to define labels for packets that meet certain criteria and have them labeled in the capture display? For example, packets that contain IP address 1.2.3.4 could have the IP address (1.2.3.4) replaced with a label of our chosing i.e. test computer, etc. This may also be used for MAC address, etc. Once something about a packet is identified, we could then label the packets that contain the same criteria as a name such as "test computer", etc. This would make is much easier to be able to glance at the capture window and to determine what device is creating that particular packet. This labeling would also be able to be viewed in the different report screens. One of the other capture programs calls this function creating an alias. Your thoughts and efforts are greatly appreciated. Corey
support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>