Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] DOCSIS rf-to-ethernet tap?

From: Allen Fowler <allen.fowler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:47:08 -0800 (PST)
Hello,

Does there exist a reasonably affordable way to sniff traffic from the coax going out of my cable modem?

I ask, since our VoIP provider has given us (and requires that we use) a combination cablemodem / VoIP to "multi-phoneline" blackbox.

This means I have no way of troubleshooting / auditing the VoIP/SIP traffic to or from our provider.

I don't want to troubleshoot RF / layer 0 issues like USD $15K+ docsis RF analyzers can.  I just need to dump any valid docsis frames to an Ethernet port.

Any ideas?

Be a better friend, newshound, and