Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] (wireshark:26800): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

From: Greg Toombs <greg.toombs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:28:34 -0500
Hey all.

I read the previous posts for a user with the same error message, but it
seems my problem is different.

I'm running a shiny new installation of Gentoo, and wireshark *looked*
like it compiled alright. And (although it has no icon) the menu entry
for wireshark correctly starts it up in non-root mode, although non-root
mode is pretty much useless.

First of all, wireshark didn't install a "run with gksudo" menu entry in
XFCE, but that's not the biggest problem. When I run wireshark from the
terminal it works, but when I run sudo wireshark I get

(wireshark:26800): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

When I run echo $DISPLAY it gives
:0.0

Any ideas?

Thanks...