Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing packets for given ip address

From: "Tom Heyligen" <T.Heyligen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 11:57:01 +0100
Hi Sangeetha,

The Wireshark capture dialog is showing the vendor and name of your Ethernet controller(s), together with the currently associated IP address(es).

However, this IP address is *your* IP address. If you change your IP settings in your OS, you will notice your new address as well in the Wireshark capture dialog. But there is no impact from your IP address on Wireshark!

If you want to restrict the captured/displayed packets to some host/address, you should apply a filter (provided that you can see the packets from this remote machine).

Hope this answers your question...

Best regards,

Tom Heyligen
Quality Software Engineer