Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] docsis problems

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:18:31 -0800
admin2@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

any one knows why (newest version) Wireshark cant handle Docsis packets ?

Can older versions handle them?

When i snif on my Cisco CMTS e.g. DHCP req. from a Cablemodem, i can only
see the ip-pack. from the server.
The rest packets are marked with : DOCSIS Mac specific[malformed packet.]

I can see that Wireshark supports lots of DOCSIS packets so dont understand
why this doesnt work.

Either because

	1) there really are problems with the packets

or

	2) there's a bug in one of the dissectors for DOCSIS protocols.

If you can, for example, save one of the packets with this problem into a file, and provide us with that one-packet file, we can try to see what's causing the problem. If you do so, file it as a bug on bugs.wireshark.org, so we can track it.