Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] MPEG2TS over UPD not decoded

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:11:37 +0100
Hi,

No, the intelligence isn't put into the RTP dissector, it's the other way around. The MPEG2TS dissectors registers itself with the RTP dissector, for payload type 33 (PT_MP2T, RFC 2250). If the RTP dissector gets such a payload it's passed to the MPEG2TS dissector.

What could be done is adding a preference to the MPEG2TS dissector to set a UDP port number to register on, so that ETH/IP/UDP/MPEG2TS is possible.

Thanx,
Jaap

Jake Peavy wrote:
Yes, I also noticed this. With an RTP encapsulated video stream, the PIDs are decoded. With a UDP encapsulated video stream, no decocde is possible.

Does this mean this intelligence was built into the RTP module? That seems to go against the whole point of encapsulation. It would be far better to have a separate MPEGTS dissector - to apply against any type of stream.

-jp