Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Running wireshark as a scheduled task?

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 10:14:55 -0600
On Nov 28, 2007 7:42 AM, Kieran McCarthy  wrote:

> Hi guys
>

> I'm trying to track down a hacker(s) who attempts to hack into one of my
> servers at night between 1 and 3 am GMT. What I'd like to be able to do is
> to run wireshark as a scheduled task to start capturing packets at 1am and
> finish at 3am. Is there currently anyway to do this without resorting to a
> script? Hope you can help as it will save me a few late nights!
>

> Kieran

Use tshark instead (http://www.wireshark.org/docs/man-pages/tshark.html).

Try
-aduration:10800 (3 hours in seconds)

For writing the results to a file, you can either redirect the output
with '>' for decoded stuff or just use '-w' to write it out raw so you
can open it with Wireshark later.

-Jason

--
NOTICE:  Reading this email message requires root privileges which you
do not appear to possess. Sorry, dude.