Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Recommended C compiler for Windows

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:50:53 -0700
On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 07:11:50PM -0000, Owens, Neil wrote:

> What's the current fave C compiler for Win32?  There's loads out
> there, but what comes recommended?

For Wireshark, Microsoft's compiler is the only supported compiler for
Win32.  Wireshark builds are still building using VC++ 6.0 by the
buildbots, but the preferred compiler is Visual Studio 2005 Express
Edition because it is free to obtain and use and a number of people use
it without problems (though see
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200711/msg00349.html for an
issue that some people have with the 2005 compiler).

See http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html
for further information.  Please direct further Wireshark development
questions to the wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list.

Steve