Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] unique identifier for remote PC

From: "Pedro Tumusok" <pedro.tumusok@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 01:42:16 +0100
On Nov 24, 2007 9:59 PM, Bilal Alpertonga <bilal.alpertonga@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to ask a question,
> Why we can take MAC address of the router, not address of the PC,
>
> Which protocol makes this MAC change ?
>
> Regards,
> ega

Most likely because MAC addresses are only used in a brodcast domain,
ie it does not travers routers, because the router is an intermediate
that needs to recevie the traffic before "forwarding" it out on the
right interface.
And there is nothing that says all points between 2 PC's on 2
diffirent places on the internet uses Ethernet all the way to
communicate.

Or are you talking about your local lan?
--
Best regards / Mvh
Jan Pedro Tumusok

If I knew being here with you today,
Would mean being alone tomorrow.
I would gladly trade all of my tomorrows away
For a moment with you.