Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] unique identifier for remote PC

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:31:55 +0100
d a schrieb:
If I use wireshark to capture a tcp exchange between my PC and another PC (a file transfer for example) is there any information unique to the remote PC that would identify it later upon first hand visual inspection?

I originally thought that the MAC address in Wireshark would achieve this however it looks like instead Im getting the MAC address of the ISP's router rather than the remote PCs NIC.

If your remote PC is behind a router, take a look the PC's IP address. The router will exchange the MAC addresses.

Regards, ULFL