Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Trying to get Wireshark up and running via MacPorts

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:08:27 -0700
On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:15:59PM -0500, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

> I'm having a problem getting Wireshark up and running via MacPorts and
> X11 on a 8GB RAM, 140GB free drive space, dual 2GHz G5 tower system
> with OS X version 10.4.11 and with X11 Update 2006 applied (providing
> me with X11 v1.1.3).

That should work fine.

> There are no warnings or errors whatsoever during the builds of
> Wireshark or Macports but when I try to fire up Wireshark from a xterm
> window under /Utilities/X11, I get a bus error.

That's odd.  Can you try building from our source code to see if the
same problem happens?  You can download the source code from the
www.wireshark.org web site.  Sometimes port systems apply patches that
*might* be causing the problem, though it is unlikely.  The main
advantage to building from source is that you can run out of the build
directory with debugging symbols - do you know how to use gdb to obtain
a backtrace when that error occurs?

> Should I have built a variant of Wireshark other than the default
> darwin_8 variant or something other than the latest libpcap, glib,
> gtk, etc., libraries?

No, the one you used should be fine.

Steve