Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Linksys WPC 54g promiscuous capture on XP-sp2

From: John Bayly <oobayly@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:28:32 -0800 (PST)
I'd been using Ethereal on my laptop using XP Pro-sp2
and a Linksys WPC54g v.1 (and a v.1.2 card) for quite
some time. I never had any issues about capturing in
promiscuous mode.
I hadn't used for a while, and then found the
Wireshark had superseded Ethereal, so I downloaded
WinPCAP 4.02 and Wireshark.
However, I now cannot capture in promiscuous mode.

I'm using XP Pro-sp2 and I've tried every combination
using the following:
WPC54g v.1
WPC54g v.1.2
Card driver v.3.3
Card driver v.3.6
Card driver v.4.1
WinPCAP v.3.1
WinPCAP v.4.0.2

I've also tried using tshark.exe and windump.exe to
capture, to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this,
especially as I used to have no problems.

I'm wondering if MS have broken promiscuous capture as
the configuration that used to work on another Laptop
in our office appears to have stopped working too.

Thanks in advance,
John

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/