Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Problem sniffing - getting only broadcasts (and it's not what

From: "Brian Swan" <Brian.Swan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:49:26 -0600
Hi all,

I've had a problem for a while now with my laptop and wireshark/WinPCap.  If I configure a mirror port on a switch, and sniff the traffic, all I ever get is broadcasts (under windows).  If I reboot my laptop into Linux, and run wireshark, I get the traffic I'm expecting (broadcast and unicast), so I don't believe it's a problem with the setup of the mirror port, or some kind of a hardware limitation on my laptop.

My next thought was that there is something wrong with my WinPCap installation, so I uninstalled and reinstalled with the same results.  I'm running Windows XP, with the latest drivers for my nic, and I'm not quite sure what else to try.  has anyone experienced an issue like this before?

Thanks!
Brian

Brian R. Swan
Sr. Consulting Engineer