Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to see HTTP hosts visited

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:50:57 -0700
would rpcap help?

On Nov 13, 2007 7:21 AM, Gary Fritz <fritz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 13 Nov 2007 at 12:00, Andreas Fink <afink@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> the two switches are not forwarding packets to your PC as the
> destination of the packets are not meant to receive it
> You need to do the tracing on the WRTG54G itself (if it runs some
> linux for example) or it should forward packets.

I believe it is running a linux OS, but I don't know of any way to change its
programming to tell it to forward the packets.  Even if I dug through the
source (which is available on the Linksys site!), I couldn't change the code in
the router.

It has a Port Forwarding feature, but I think that's only to forward specific
ports from the outside (internet) to an IP on the LAN.  I could tell it to forward
port 80 traffic to my PC, but I think that would only forward incoming port-80
requests from outside, not the port-80 traffic from my son's laptop.

(User manual, GPL source, etc are all available at
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_CASupport_C2&childpagename
=US%2FLayout&cid=1166859837401&packedargs=sku%3DWRT54G&page
name=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=3740137401B01&displa
ypage=download#versiondetail

)

> I dont think even without the two switches you will see the packets as
> they come/go from DSL and WLAN. So the WRT will not forward it to you
> because it knows (or thinks) you are not looking for those packets.

What about computers that are connected directly to the WRT's ports, with
no switches in the way?  Would they see the packets, or would the WRT still
not forward the packets to those ports because they aren't the target of the
packets?

If none of those tricks work, then I guess the only way to do this is to run
Wireshark on my son's laptop.  Not the greatest solution.  Ohwell....

Thanks,
Gary