Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Understanding what I'm seeing

From: Chad Webb <Chad.Webb@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:25:17 -0500
Thanks for the response.  The reason I don't think it is the switch
configuration is because I'm seeing the same result on 4 different
switches (3 different 3560Gs and one 3550).  I don't handle the Windows
patching/installation and I believe something has been added/patched on
my laptop (wireshark installation) to produce these results.  This is
also the first time trying this since upgrading from 0.99.5 -> 0.99.6a.
 I'm going to remove a few pieces of software from the system running
Wireshark (to include removing WinPcap and Wireshark) and reinstall
Wireshark to see if that changes anything.

Giles Coochey said the following on 10/11/2007 4:47 AM:
>> When http attempt is made to www.4thegame.com (213.160.120.1) all I
> see
>> is:
>>
>> Source		Destination	Protocol	Info
>> 127.0.0.1	213.160.120.1	ICMP		Echo (ping) request
>>

> There is definitely something wrong with your network. You should never,
> ever see a loopback address on an actual wire.
>
> You are capturing on the right interface I take it?
>
> I would probably uninstall both WinPcap and Wireshark and re-install.
>
> The other time I had a problem with this type of thing I downloaded the
> backtrack Linux iso (live cd) and ran Wireshark from that (to eliminate
> Windows XP from the problem).
>
> http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html

Chad S. Webb
Systems Administrator