Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Fwd: Wireshark to K12 comparison]

From: "Anders Broman" <a.broman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:04:26 +0200

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] För Jeff Morriss
Skickat: den 1 oktober 2007 18:03
Till: Community support list for Wireshark
Kopia: AMEAUME ALAIN
Ämne: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Fwd: Wireshark to K12 comparison]

> - The K12 Tektronix analyzer give us the way to build ourself the
> protocol stack corresponding to a specific GSM.xx or TS.xx
> recommandation release ! Is it possible to add in your project a tool to
> manage these protocol stacks, specialy because, for training and
> pedagogic objectives, it should be nice to control exactly the output of
> a trace decoding ?

I think the assumption has been that the protocols are backwards compatible
Interworking of GSM systems would be difficult otherwise I suppose. In case
of GSM MAP the dissector automatically handles differences in the versions
For CAMEL there is an open BUG about one problem but it looks solvable
without introducing a version option. For the other dissectors there has
been no bug reports on version problems.

>PS: I know that some of wireshark users would like to have some K12 style
>traces (rf5 file type) ==> I can proposed some examples on Mobile Telecom
>Network (DTAP, BSSMAP, ISUP, CAMEL, MAP) issued fom different countries.

New example traces to the wiki samples page are always welcome.

Best regards
Anders