Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] "capture raw USB traffic" functionality not working?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:34:29 -0700

On Sep 25, 2007, at 4:17 PM, Joshua Pollack wrote:

Aha, thank you!  I assumed that the "latest CVS (>0.9.5)" meant "get a
release later than 0.9.5, which at the time of this writing was HEAD
of CVS."

Nope - 0.9.x releases are on a branch, not on the trunk. The page *definitely* needed clarifying....

I'll build it from CVS and try again.

Note that, if you build and install, by default it'll install a non- shared library in /usr/local/lib, so, if you're building Wireshark from source, you'd have to re-run the configure script on Wireshark at minimum (after doing a "make distclean"), and possibly even use --with- pcap=/usr/local to tell it to use the libpcap you've built rather than the one that comes with the system.

If you're using a binary package of Wireshark, you'd either have to build from source to get the new libpcap, or configure it to install in /usr/lib (use --prefix=/usr) and do "make shared" and "make install- shared" (which builds shared libraries on Linux and Darwin/OS X - it doesn't use libtool so it doesn't support shared libraries on many platforms). I can't guarantee that replacing the shared libraries that come with the OS won't break other programs, however (it *shouldn't*, assuming whoever develops the Linux distribution you use didn't do anything stooopid, but...).