Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Newbie question

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:19:08 +0200
On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 05:38:57PM -0400, Tom Maugham wrote:
> Thanks for the info...
>
> It appears that I have two problems:
> 1) The adapter in my laptop needs to be
> set to promiscuous mode and I cannot see any way to do that

Not quite, Wireshark puts the capturing interface it uses in
promiscuous mode by default. Unfortunately a lot of wlan-drivers
don't pass the packets that are not destined to the card  to the
system when the card is put into promiscuous mode. In short, you
will only see the packets to and from your own pc instead of all
the packets on the wire^H^H^H^Hair

Sometimes it's even worse, the driver will not send any packets
to the system when the card is put in promiscuous mode. In those
cases you need to disable "Capture in promiscuous mode" in the
capture options screen to be able to see your own packets in
wireshark.

> and 2) I won't
> be able to see packets to/from the hard-wired pc. Is that correct?

Not quite ;-)  What I meant was that if you use to wired PC to
capture the packets instead of the wireless PC, you will also not
see the all the packets. This is because the PC is connected to
a switch, which learns to which of it's ports each system is
connected to and only forwards traffic destined for the connected
system(s) out a port. You might want to read the Wiki-article
about that again. It will give you some insight in what kind
of traffic you can expect when you connect the PC to some type
of device.

Hope this helps, Cheers,

Sake