Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] A question regarding GSM sniffing

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:22:26 +0200
On 9/12/07, Michael Wirdefalk <wowselect@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I wonder if anyone of you could tell me is it possible to sniff the ordinary
> GSM phones and how?

To sniff on the GSM Air Interface is hard, You need to be able to
listen to the entire spectrum, demodulate it and then decrypt it, I do
not think there´s any tool available to the public to do so. Although
being that conceivable I can expect the inteligence community to have
such devices as the various pieces exist already.

http://www.tek.com/site/ps/0,,37-18841-INTRO_EN,00.html
http://cryptome.org/a51-crack.htm

> A noticed there's a Vodafone PCMCIA adapter on the
> market, by using one of them could I capture all phone calls in the air with
> the help of Wireshark? Thanks a bunch.

With that you can only see the packets passed to your computer.