Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Congestion Window

From: Kevin <masonke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:16:25 -0400
Becky,
What are you trying to find the cwnd for?
Kevin

On Aug 28, 2007, at 7:50 AM, ronnie sahlberg wrote:

The congestion window can not be determined by looking at the packets
themself since the congestion window is not stored in the packet
headers.

In general it is impossible to tell what the congestion window is by
looking at traces.
However If you know if great detail exactly how the state machine for
the TCP you look at works   you can sometimes make educated guesses of
what the congestion window "probably is" from the trace.
This is very very timeconsuming and probably only accurate if you know
the sourcecode for the tcp implementation in question by heart.