Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Playing RTP on Mac OS X?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:42:31 -0700

On Aug 17, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Luis EG Ontanon wrote:

On 8/17/07, Andreas <wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However, while I now have the player and can even see a graphic
representation of the audio, it refuses to play. Exporting to .au
still fails with "codec not supported".

"codec not supported" seems to me an error coming from portaudio,

We just hand PortAudio a sequence of 16-bit samples, as far as I can tell; we're the ones who do the decoding (in decode_rtp_packet() in gtk/rtp_player.c).

However, *exporting* is a separate operation. It doesn't issue a "codec not supported" error. However, it *does* issue an "Unsupported codec!" error (note to the original poster - getting the text of an error message *exactly* right can be important, if we have to figure out where the message is coming from).