Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Winsock Interface

From: Becky Vict <becky_vict@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I was reading a white paper on a proprietary software that makes application-level measurements of data performance at the Winsock interface.  I was wondering about my own data performance measurements which I did using Wireshark as the capture tool and tcptrace to generate the performance statistics.  Wireshark captures at the network interface right?  So can anyone explain to me the difference between this Winsock interface and the network interface?

I want to get as close as possible to the throughput that the user actually experience.  To my understanding, the TCP throughput is as close as we can get to actual throughput (i.e. for TCP application used by the user).  Or am I wrong?

Hope anyone can help me on this.

Regards.

Got a little couch potato?