Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How to capture data Packets from GPRS Modem Sim Card

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:41:46 -0700

On Aug 12, 2007, at 10:44 AM, Huzaifa.Johar wrote:

I have written a Client Server application in C sharp. My application is using GPRS modem connected through USB port to send and receive data.

I want to capture the traffic of my Client Server application but When I tried WireShark I could not found any of my actual data messages transferring over my application. The reason I found for this is that my messages only reside in the modem memory or Sim card and WireShark is unable to read the messages until and unless the message come over to computer memory.

Given that Wireshark runs on that computer, it obviously cannot read the messages until they're copied to the computer's memory.

However, your client/server application *also* can't read them until they're copied to the computer's memory, if the application running on that computer. If it's seeing the messages, then the reason is *NOT* that the messages only reside in the modem memory (I don't think they're stored in the SIM).

What OS are you running on the computer and, if it's Windows (as I suspect it is), what version of WinPcap do you have installed?