Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Portable Wireshark Settings

From: "Misc" <misc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:32:51 +0000 (UTC)
Luis EG Ontanon wrote:

>> With computers becoming very cheap, we're at the stage where each
>> "user" has his/her own computer. Hence no need to share one machine
>> between several users (which usually results in a total mess, not
>> resolvable by different AppData folders anyway) :)
>
>Well, I work in an environment (Mobile Networks) in which every user
>has a computer for his own use.  Anyway when I need to capture most
>often I use machines that are shared.
>
>- Because not necessarily a given switch can have a mirror port for
>every user that needs it at every given time.
>
>- Because many times one connects to this machines remotelly.
>
>- Because there are security requirements that disallow to have
>thousands cheap computers connected to the management network and
>usually it is preferred to have few (maybe unnecessarily expensive)
>computers.
>
>So as you see the fact that computers are cheap does not mean that
>multiuser computers have disappeared, neither I believe they will for
>several years to come even if computers come to cost $10 or less .

Not yet, but this will be minority. And with being able to bring all
one's personal soft on a usb stick, you can in fact have multi-user
computers where everyone is just using their own portable soft from
their USB sticks. So portable software can be very important in
multi-user environment as well :)