Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Portable Wireshark Settings

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 01:50:21 +0200
> With computers becoming very cheap, we're at the stage where each
> "user" has his/her own computer. Hence no need to share one machine
> between several users (which usually results in a total mess, not
> resolvable by different AppData folders anyway) :)

Well, I work in an environment (Mobile Networks) in which every user
has a computer for his own use.  Anyway when I need to capture most
often I use machines that are shared.

- Because not necessarily a given switch can have a mirror port for
every user that needs it at every given time.

- Because many times one connects to this machines remotelly.

- Because there are security requirements that disallow to have
thousands cheap computers connected to the management network and
usually it is preferred to have few (maybe unnecessarily expensive)
computers.

So as you see the fact that computers are cheap does not mean that
multiuser computers have disappeared, neither I believe they will for
several years to come even if computers come to cost $10 or less .

-- Marshall McLuhan

Propertarianism joined to capitalist vigor destroyed meaningful
commercial competition, but when it came to making good software,
anarchism won.
-- Eben Moglen