Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Portable Wireshark Settings

From: "Misc" <misc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 23:07:22 +0000 (UTC)
Guy Harris wrote:

>Misc wrote:
>
>> With truly portable application, you just put it somewhere and it
>> works, with all its prior settings intact. That's what I need. I
>> understand that I'd still have to correct the path in -P switch
>>every  time I move Wireshark to a different folder. So I guess it's
>>not TRULY  PORTABLE yet, but at least it's moving in right
>>direction :)
>
>Well, you'll probably never have the standard Wireshark distribution
>be portable "out of the box", as people NOT using it as a portable
>application would want it to store their preferences in their
>"profile directory" or whatever it's called.
>
>What you might get is a separate build, or a separate package, that
>somehow forces Wireshark to run in a portable mode.

Guy, we are talking here about existing portable Wireshark U3 package,
available from http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Or at least it's "supposed" to be portable, and being advertized as
designed for USB sticks.

That's the package that I've been struggling with. This "portable"
Wireshark couldn't find its preferences in its own folder and needed to
be pointed to its own app folder with command line args :(

None of this affects the standard distribution, don't worry...